Beyond Belief by Josh Hamilton
Summary
This is Josh Hamilton's autobiography that talks about his baseball career from a young player shagging balls for his older brother's team to a major-leaguer. He talks frankly about his drug and alcohol addiction and how hard it was to overcome (and stay on the wagon).
Personal Thoughts
I'm not the biggest baseball fan in the universe so I was unsure of this book. Another teacher had actually requested it and when he returned it (three days later!!) he said that I should read it. Well, alrighty then. So I did. While I wish I could say that it gave me more tolerance for people who make bad choices, I can't. However, I can say that I understand how an addict can become an addict and the difficulty in turning your life around. There isn't a lot of strong language or sex in this book, but it should probably only be read by high schoolers. It's a very frank discussion of drugs and alcohol and what it can do to your life.

No comments:
Post a Comment