Is anyone else out there a nerd, like me? You know...getting up early on a Sunday and wondering why on Earth the library isn't open that early. Or coming home from a late Varsity game and trying to do research only that the library is closed that late on a Friday night.
Well, I'd like to introduce to you the 24/7 library. Students in my school can research, create, share, present, collaborate and even check out books any time they wish! Between the district's adoption of Google Aps, the library's purchase of Overdrive, and the district's re-purchase of database (like Gale and Ebsco) students are free!
Wait! What does this mean for the library? Won't it drive away patrons? Some patrons, perhaps. But, let me ask you this...Even though the Wendy's drive through is open 24/7, don't you still stop in and purchase a meal during "normal hours?" You can purchase shoes online, but don't you usually like to try them on in the store? Truly, the library's job is to make information (and books) accessible to the kids, right? Right! If we can get them the information and make it easier and faster to work at school and at home, why wouldn't we?
As of this moment, I still have students chomping at the bit to get into the library. They're pretty upset we haven't opened before or after school yet. I have students with devices come in every day and ask for help with the new system. Even those that have been on our public library's system still come in and ask for physical books or suggestions for books. In short, I'm as busy as ever!
I think the physical library and the e-library (or e-brary) can be good friends.
Also...I promise I've been reading! I haven't had time to post reviews, though. Soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment