How do you keep kids in the library? Make it someplace they want to be, right?
Recently, thanks to a grant from my PTA and money from a bookfair, I was able to afford four of the chairs below. The kids LOVE them! They're in here every morning and try to be first so they can claim the seats. When they're sent here to catch up on reading for classes, they like sitting at the front of the library and putting their feet on the little tables.
Oh! Speaking of little tables...I got four of these $10 tables from IKEA. They're easy to move, relatively durable, easy to wipe clean with some Clorox wipes, and very movable. The kids have been moving them around so they have a place to put their binders, feet, work, whatever! It's great that they're taking advantage of that flexibility.
I've even had a few teachers sneak in here during their conference period to relax for a minute. Shhhh! Don't tell anyone!
Having these chairs up here has also increased circulation of the "Smith's Picks" (which are my favs that I recommend constantly) and the LoneStar Award winners which are across from "Smith's Picks."
Thank you, PTA! We could not have done this without you!!
No comments:
Post a Comment